Have you ever heard anything about the GDPR? You should be concerned about the whole thing of GDPR which is going to impact globally. So far I think you already heard about the regulation of the European Union. It’s actually EU based data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union.
As a company/website owner, you have to be a complaint with GDPR. To make this happen, you can take the help of any GDPR plugin. There are lots of GDPR plugins in the market and in the WordPress directory which could make you more confused to choose the right one from the mess.
So, in this article, I will try to make you more comfortable in taking a decision by eliminating your confusion. Moreover, I’ll demonstrate the best GDPR plugins in WordPress for your website so that you can go forward on your internet adventures without any panic. Here, I will be sharing the 10 best GDPR plugins which could be more convenient for you.
Before going into the list, I want to discuss some basic concept of the issue:
What is GDPR
GDPR stands for the General Data Protection Regulation which is a new regulation under the European Union law based on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union. The regulation and law addresses the export of personal data outside the EU as well as providing more control to the citizens and residents over their own personal data.
On May 25, 2018, the EU put a new privacy regulation into an action that ultimately affects websites around the world. The law comes into existence by name of GDPR which stands for General Data Protection Regulation. The law consists of over 200 pages long and it can get any website owner of any region of the globe into trouble if they don’t comply with the GDPR policy.
Here are some useful resources to know more about GDPR
[Diclaimer: Please be informed that this article contains general information regarding making a GDPR compliant form. Having the dynamic nature of WordPress websites, no single plugin can make any website 100% compliance. However, in any circumstance I strongly recommend you consult directly with legal adviser familiar with the GDPR regulations to evaluate your particular use of a plugin.]
Why Do You Want Plugins for It?
The main issue for the gross site owner is consent. As we come to know earlier that according to the GDPR, as a website owner, you must obtain explicit consent from EU citizens before handling and processing any of their personal data. This, of course, might create a problem for the website owner if he/she doesn’t comply with the GDPR regulation. In this regard, plugins come into existence to help the website owner to comply with the GDPR rule.
GDPR plugin aims to assists website and webshop owners to comply with European privacy regulations known as GDPR. Basically, the plugin is made to make a website GDPR compliance. The plugin comprises the cookies consent, delete any account form, request data form, and ensure data breach notifications. I think you understood the GDPR plugin.
Now, let’s get into the list which I want to show you in order to help you so that you can make a choice of GDPR plugin without having confusion. Here is the list:
- GDPR Cookie Consent
- Cookie Notice for GDPR
- WP GDPR Cookie Consent
- WP GDPR Compliance
- Cookie Consent
- GDPR Cookie Compliance
- Ultimate GDPR Compliance
- Total GDPR Compliance
- Ninja GDPR Compliance
- The GDPR Framework
These are top 10 GDPR plugins in WordPress which can be your great source of choosing a suitable one. Now, let’s get into the observation of the details of the given list of the plugins.
1. GDPR Cookie Consent
GDPR Cookie Consent plugin is made for ensuring your website compliant with the GDPR regulation. This is one of the fast-growing GDPR plugins in the WordPress directory. Here are some important features of this plugin:
- This plugin shows a notice with accept and reject options.
- The admin of the plugin can add cookie details remaining from the backend.
- You can add a subtle banner to your website, you just need to decide where to set up your banner. It could be either header or footer.
- You can customize the site as your website needs. For instance, you can change color, fonts, styles, and the position as well.
- You also can make the cookie banner disappear from the site.
- If the users don’t click on the button or do nothing, automatically cookie bar will be disabled.
- WPML compatible.
This is the growing fast plugin in the WordPress directory for now. Choosing the plugin could be a great option for having your site GDPR compliance.
2. Cookie Notice for GDPR
- Fully GDPR compliant.
- Customizable cookie message.
- Redirect users to the specified page.
- You can have the option to accept cookies on the scroll.
- You also can revoke user consent.
- Cookie position message box.
- You can animate the message box after the cookie is accepted.
- WPMl and Polylang compatible.
- SEO friendly environment.
- Reuse the functional cookies.
- Using the .pot file for translating.
This is what you can get from the Cookie Notice for the GDPR. The plugin is the most convincing one in terms of making your site GDPR compliant. This could be a smart option for you to solve the issue precisely.
3. WP GDPR Cookie Consent
Multiple Cookie Bar Locations
WP GDPR Cookie Consent plugin allows you to set the cookie bar in different locations according to your own choice. If you want to place the cookie bar in the Footer Bottom.
You also can put the cookie bar in the Header Top position.
Cookie bars can be placed in the Footer Left position.
Lastly, you can put your cookie bar in the Footer Right position.
These are some of the demo features of the plugin. Now, take a look at some basic outstanding features of the plugin:
- First of all, this plugin is build keeping the EU regulation in mind to make the site compliance.
- Admin can control the cookie details from the backend. He can add cookie details from the backend.
- As a user, you can add cookie popup either in the left or right header and left or right footer as well so that you can show your compliance status according to the new EU cookie law.
- You can manage cookie categories very easily.
- If you want to choose that cookie bar will disappear after a while or to accept on the scroll, you can do so.
- This GDPR compliant plugin allows you to have a fully customizable look like your own website’s custom colors, styles, and fonts.
- The plugin will render a responsive view.
- You can set the cookie duration that will be saved for accepting and for the decline.
- Highly customizable consent builder to build your cookie consent banner
Though the plugin is brand new in the market, this plugin can help you to comply with the GDPR rule in a very simple way. I think it could be your simple solution to make things happen in this context. This handy plugin is now completely free of cost.
4. WP GDPR Compliance
WP GDPR Compliance is one of the most fast-growing GDPR plugins in the WordPress directory. Activating the plugin, you can have an opportunity to comply with the GDPR regulation. Here are some base features of the plugin given below:
- One of the most prominent features is Forget Me Feature which allows your users to delete their data from the website.
- Another important feature is data breach notification which allows your users to be notified of any data breaches.
- The plugin allows you to have DPO form the exportation facility.
- Using the plugin you can integrate major WordPress add-ons like contact form 7, gravity form, and WooCommerce, etc.
- You can get some additional features like request data archive, newsletter unsubscribe, and cookie popup consent.
This is how the plugin assists website and webshop owners to comply with EU privacy regulations known as GDPR. Just install and start using the plugin.
5. Cookie Consent
Cookie Consent is simple and one of the popular cookie notification plugins in the WordPress directory. It was first launched in 2012 and it has a pretty decent amount of reviews. The major features of the plugins are given below:
- Using the plugin there will have a dismissal method in the plugin.
- You can configure the dismissal element as well.
- You can inherit your theme style where you want to be.
- Cookie duration can be set as you need.
- Cookie version also can be configured.
- It can have the option to show the notification on the pages.
- There will be translation support.
- Updating a new version will reset the cookie on all user sites.
- The plugin inherits the theme style.
Several plugins have adopted the “explicit consent” approach which obliges users to opt into cookies on your site. This is likely to deter visitors.
6. GDPR Cookie Compliance
GDPR Cookie Compliance is also a pretty cool plugin for preparing your site with the GDPR compliant. The drawback of the plugin is this plugin does not comply with the regulation as it’s just a template. For this reason, you need to configure the plugin to make them compatible with the regulation. Here are the basic features of the plugin.
- The plugin provides you with a customizable template.
- You enable and disable site cookies.
- This plugin offers general functionalities.
- Default two layouts have given with the plugin.
- You can change color, logo, fonts and modify all text.
- Full customization facility.
- You can create a custom layout using the plugin.
This plugin is used to make your website GDPR compliance and designed to help people to prepare your website fit for EU regulation.
7. Ultimate GDPR Compliance
Ultimate GDPR Compliance is one of the most prominent GDPR plugins for making your website GDPR compliant in a few clicks. It’s a multi-dimensional plugin that makes you able to consent checkboxes on various inbuilt WordPress sections.
The plugin comprises as WooCommerce, Contact Form 7, Gravity Forms, MailChimp, BuddyPress, etc. In addition to this, the plugin also includes different options to customize the data. Here are the major features of the plugin given below:
- Multiple inbuilt skin options for the cookie consents.
- Using the plugin you can show cookie in different places.
- This plugin is compatible with the most popular WordPress plugins.
- Easy and simple cookie consent option.
- Dedicated requests for data access, data rectification, and data forget.
- Shortcodes protected the facility.
- Most importantly multilingual.
This is how you can get from the plugin and make things easy in terms of GDPR compliance. You can choose this plugin for better user-experiences.
GDPR is basically meant to assist a Controller, Data Protection Officer(DPO), Data Processor to meet the criterions of GDPR regulation. This is one of the major GDPR plugins that is made to comply with the website with the GDPR policy. The main features of the plugin are given below:
- The plugin gives you an opportunity to manage consent.
- Also, have the privacy preference management for cookies.
- Data breach notification logs and batch email notification.
- Using the plugin the user can have a right to erasure & deletion of website data.
- Admin can have the opportunity of data portability and exportation.
- Telemetry tracker facility for visualizing plugins and website data.
- You can export data in XML or JSON formats.
The aim of the plugin is to assist a Controller, Data Processor, and Data Protection Officer (DPO) with efforts to reach the rights and obligations enrolled under the GDPR.
9. Total GDPR Compliance
Total GDPR Compliance is a premium plugin that helps you to make your site GDPR friendly. Keeping all the regulations in mind, the plugin is made in such a way that it will make your WordPress site compatible with all the existing rules of GDPR. Major functionalities of the plugin are given below:
- Comply with all the ingredients of GDPR.
- 30+ inbuilt templates with 3 different layouts to display cookie notice.
- Shortcodes facility for adding the form to the data access request.
- You can add consent checkboxes for the different sections.
- Data rectification and data breach notification.
- Privacy with terms & condition consent.
This is how the plugin works and flows from scratch in terms of making your site GDPR compliant. This could be a great option for you in terms of choosing a plugin.
10. Ninja GDPR Compliance
Ninja GDPR Compliance is a premium GDPR plugin for making any WordPress site compliant with GDPR policy. This is an easy to use GDPR plugin which offers extended features and functionalities. Moreover, the plugin is compatible with so many popular WP plugins such as Contact Form 7, Mailchimp, BuddyPress, WooCommerce, etc. Let’s have a look at the key features of the plugin:
- Cookie Consent management.
- Data encryption facility.
- You can configure GDPR compliance based on Geo-location.
- You can verify through ReCaptcha.
- Compatible with popular WordPress plugins.
- It contains various options to integrate terms and conditions buttons anywhere on your WordPress site.
Ninja GDPR ComplianceNinja is easy to use and this could be another option for solving the issue precisely.
11. The GDPR Framework
The GDPR Framework gives you a simple and elegant interface to handle Data Subject Access Requests (DSARs). This plugin allows you to have a set of easy to use tools to help in making website GDPR compliant. Here is some key component of the plugin given below:
- Users and visitors can run the plugin without having an account and they can automatically view, export and delete their personal data.
- Well organized and documented.
- The user can easily track, manage, and withdraw their data.
- Compatible with multiple plugins like Contact Form 7, Gravity Form, Formidable Forms, WPML, etc.
This is what the plugin does and you can choose the plugin for the simple usage. You should disable (or otherwise remove) caching capacities from the plugin pages – as these are very dynamic and based on user cooperation.
[Bonus] WP Cookie Notice for GDPR, CCPA & ePrivacy Consent
WP Cookie Notice is a WordPress plugin which helps you make your website comply with the EU GDPR’s cookie consent and CCPA’s “Do Not Sell” Opt-Out regulations. Have a quick look over the prominent features of this plugin:
- Get visitor consent for cookies using a fully customizable cookie consent bar on your website. Helps you comply with EU GDPR.
- Display a fully customizable notice with a ‘Do Not Sell’ link on your website. Helps you comply with CCPA.
- Supports WPML so your translation needs are covered.
The WP Cookie Notice for GDPR, CCPA & ePrivacy Consent plugin helps you comply with the GDPR in the following ways:
- Provides an easy-to-use admin area in the WordPress dashboard, where you can add details of cookies used on your website. You can also classify cookies into ‘Necessary’, ‘Marketing’, ‘Analytics’, ‘Preferences’, and the ‘Unclassified’ categories.
- Shows a cookie consent notice on the website. The cookie notice shows ‘Accept’ & ‘Decline’ buttons.
- Keeps a searchable log of consents given by all website users (Pro version).
- Allows users to withdraw or change their consent level (Pro version).
These are the few best GDPR plugins among the rest that can be found in the market so far. They come with various features and functionalities to make your WordPress site GDPR ready. You as a site holder need not have any coding knowledge to make this happen. The plugins here introduced here in the post have a high sales volume and positive reviews.
For me, I have been using the WP GDPR Cookie Consent plugin for serving my purposes. The plugin is very handy to use and the interface is so much friendly. The plugin is totally free of cost. You can have a try the plugin for making an experiment. This could be a better solution for serving purposes.
In a few words, I would like to say that it’s wise to make your website compliant with GDPR, otherwise, you will be fallen into great trouble. If you haven’t taken any step in this regard, just make sure that you are in a save situation.
Moreover, if you have any queries, suggestions in this regard, feel free to ask me. I hope the article helped you much to choose a quality plugin. Again, if you are already using any of them or not, make me know about your experience.